The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Drunken Monkey Part Two

We may have an answer!  I sent a request to my dear friend, literary lion, Sanscrit scholar  and and long-time Buddhist Charles Johnson asking him about the derivation of the term "Drunken Monkey" and he answered as follows:



and a quite reasonable Chinese gentleman wrote to say that this was not a Chinese concept at all.  I was very surprised, and am wondering now if it is a legitimate Buddhist concept at all, or a fortune cookie aphorism I picked up somewhere.  Can  you help a brother out here?


Dear Steve:

      It's Hindu (India), not Chinese. The great Indian philosopher Vivekananda discusses it at length and with much humor in his book
Raja Yoga.

#####
So there we have it.  Clearly, it is possible that someone misattributed the expression.  Whether the "Drunken Monkey" concept exists in Indian or Tibetan Buddhist thought is a question that will remain for wiser minds than mine.  I am, however, relieved to see that my basic thought, that this is an ancient term and not some New Age 60's psychadelic b.s., was correct.  Whew!

Steve

No comments: