The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Friday, December 09, 2005

Coming Out Of The Closet

Arrgh.  In working on my presentation for Sunday, I go over and over the basic pieces, trying to find the simplest way of relating everything.  This blog post is really my last written thoughts on the subject, before a very busy weekend kicks in. 
##
Basically, I noticed years ago that the rules we run our lives by reflect the world view that we develop over the years...and that that world view also reflects the rules.  If I began years ago believing that "we become what we think about" and that "we don't see the world as it is, we see the world as we are," then there were certain other conclusions that were inescapable.  That the model (or map) of the world we carry in our minds and hearts determines the results we get from that world, and that for that reason, there needs to be a feedback betwen our inner dreams and the outer world in which those dreams are pursued.
##
but that external world fights back--as does any false ego-image we're carrying around.  So something is needed to keep our sense of the world sharp and accurate.  We must continually test the reality of our perceptions. How to do it?  there must be countless ways, but I chose body, mind, and spirit.  All I wanted to do was to point people in the direction of their own individual inner truths, to get them to ask the question: what would it mean if I was responsible for my results in these three arenas?  What would I have to change in myself to improve those results?  What would be the best way to approach that improvement?
##
Well, it feels as if the pieces are in place.  I can only know if I'm right by actually experimenting, actually having human minds and hearts and bodies giving me feedback.  I also know that what I'm trying to set  up is designed to give students control of their own lives, not to make them dependant, so the technology has to be very, very, portable.  Ideally, I should be able to explain the basics in an hour, so that I can share it with audiences as quickly as possible...but I suspect that the full treatment will take a day.  That would be laying down a theoretical framework, then teachng and refining mental and physical techniques, getting feedback, helping the student design a home study program and possibly even create their own support systems.  I don't know.  What I DO know is that I'm really looking forward to this.  It feels just a little bit like coming out of the closet, that I've been hiding for a while.  Well...here it comes.  I REALLY wonder what '06 will be like...

No comments: