The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Thursday, August 31, 2006

T.S. Elliot and Zen

“Teach Us to Car and not to care.  Teach us to be still…”
--T.S. Elliot
 

“Rest and unrest derive from illusion; with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking…”

These two sounded so alike to me today that it was striking.  I’ve had a paragraph of this verse to memorize, and found that my conscious mind just doesn’t seem to want to grasp it, as if there is no place to find purchase.  Odd, and interesting.

There is so much waiting for things to happen connected with this profession, and it sometimes seems tat I am struggling to find meaningful ways to busy up my time whilst waiting for this or that deal to make progress.  Sigh. Hollywood really is “hurry up and wait.”

And yet, while waiting, it is necessary to stay busy, to transfer enthusiasms to new arenas—so that, if nothing else, your nerves don’t eat you alive.

Today has been a day of intensities, travel, and waiting.  I suppose that makes it, overall, a very fine day indeed…


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone!

I truly appreciate this blog, continue the great work!
Tell me what you think about my theories regarding hypnosis!

pharmacy said...

“Rest and unrest derive from illusion; with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking…”
what a catchy phrase !! thanks for post this stuff!

Anonymous said...

l8ybyib5v

Feel free to surf to my web page: short term loans

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online tramadol 400 mg - tramadol 100 mg /ml

Anonymous said...

Excellent article with good information. Thanks for sharing. I would like to share information about the company. With hybrid application development , you're not just building an app; you're creating an experience that transcends boundaries. It's a journey into the future of digital interaction, where your vision becomes a reality on every device, in every hand, and in every pocket.