The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Wednesday, February 23, 2005

More on Yoga

In Yoga class this morning the humidity was a butt-kicker, and I was seriously tempted to sit down for a while.  But I made a decision: I would find the "edge" of my endurance, and then sort of "skate" across it, if that makes sense.  In other words, I would give myself permission to quit if it got too much, but as long as I could maintain focus on my breathing, it was forward-ho.
##
Yoga, a Sanskrit word meaning "to yoke," or "to unite" is a set of disciplines that address the body-mind split in many powerful ways.  Meditation, concentration, physical postures, breath control and so forth are some of the better known ones.  Certainly, the physical postures, "asanas" are the best known form, and contain much of the benifit of the other "branches."  Yoga is particularly good for the back and joints.  Watching Tananarive and Nicki as the practise and find their individual ways to engage with the process has been, and continues to be, a great joy.
##
Especially with Nicki, this is just the bomb.  I'd wanted for years to pass on to her some of the understandings I've gained over the years, and because she never really engaged with a physical discipline, it was difficult.  I didn't want her to rebel, so I didn't push her much.  But now she wants to sculpt her body, and there's a Bikram around the corner, and, well...
##
I remember driving back from someplace or other, and remembering that we had Yoga in the morning.  We talked about it a bit, and I told her to visualize her third chakra (the hara), and to see what results she might get from thinking into that center below the navel in class the next day.  by making suggestions like this, we are creating a shared vocabulary for concepts that can't quite be put into words.
##
There is a truth in the realm of the esoteric: there are things that cannot be taught, cannot be put into words, but can still be learned.  And a teacher can create a context in which a student can learn for herself, and then that teacher can identify a breakthrough moment and say: "that one.  That moment, there." 
##
There are so many things that I'm trying to communicate on this blog.  The value of each and every one of you.   the sanity of a balanced life and perspective.  The road to a high-energy creative life.  The path to personal mastery.  NO, I'm not saying I'm a master.  I'm saying that I've identified a path that leads to mastery. 
##
And how might Yoga fit into that path?  Integrated into the FIVE MINUTE MIRACLE, one would practise a single asana five times a day--pick your least favorite (standing head to knee pose, for me!).  One would also have goals in all three major areas of life, and visualize your triangle as you perform the pose.  Move your consciousness through the chakras.  About seven breaths, about two minutes.  You've got it!

Steve

No comments: