The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Friday, October 05, 2007

Would you want to know..?

That university professor who has six months to live and conducted a marvelous lecture on the meaning of life has created a minor storm: eight hundred thousand hits on YouTube in a week. I heard a radio commentator say that he thought it would be a nightmare to know the time of his death. His co-host thought that it would be a freeing and focusing experience, a gift. In my personal experience, once people know they are dying, it is wonderfully clarifying, and every one of them has grown to some degree, many times grown to a remarkable degree. I would like to ask you a question: Do you think it would be a positive or negative thing to know the time of your death?
##
I'm almost finished with my A-Z through writing. If you have questions about anything connected to writing you'd like me to address here and in my mailing list, please let me know...
##
A few weeks back I spoke of my friend Al Harvey, superb martial artist and terrific guy, one of Grandmaster Steve Mohammad's original students. I mistakenly identified him as an L.A. City Councilman. Honest to a fault, Al wrote me and politely hinted that I should correct the record. Al says:

"My position with the City of Los Angeles is Commissioner, for Council District 10. The Councilman who I am a Commissioner for is, the Honorable Herb J. Wesson, Jr.'

Sorry, Al!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am all that much satisfied with the substance you have said. I needed to thank you for this extraordinary article. Join Origin Access Premier and get The Sims 4 Digital Deluxe, Dine Out Game Pack and Kids Room Stuff Pack to create new stories sims 4 news.