The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Power of Love

The interviewer apparently chose the wrong Obama supporter to drill, assuming he would be light on policy and long on “touchy-feelie”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kica8hmSdAM


The young man's response to the news reporter's
Video, after a bunch of haters on Youtube accused him of being a plant.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zO5d-XZWA&feature=related
##
I was sore as hell after a four-hour workout Friday night with Steve Mohammad. Ouch. And it was great: I love that man. Ray Doss, a BKF fifth degree black belt, showed up and worked with me…the footwork shifts are great, and created so much power I couldn’t calibrate it, and accidentally knocked Ray across the room. Ouch.
Ray and I talked until 1:30 in the morning, and I got home at about two. What a night.
##
Monday, I did 100 cleans to order with the Bruiser, in sets of ten (two sets at each Five Minute Miracle break). I spa’d last night, and then did yoga this morning…and felt pretty darned good. I think that I need to do more yoga, but have to figure out how to organize that. There’s only so much time in the day. On the other hand, I used to do 90 minutes of yoga daily fifteen years ago, and my body HARDLY needs it less today. I mean, get real. So I think that David Swenson’s Ashtanga Yoga “short forms” are going to get a work-out. I want to integrate Prasara Flows into the 5MM breaks on Yoga days, though. The total time has to be controlled, as well as the amount of intensity. I can control that using Coach Sonnon’s 4X7 program, “waving” my intensity on a 1-2-3-4 pattern, plus taking Sunday off. But always, I’ll pay attention to the subjective experience of recovery: sleep depth, morning pulse rate, joint soreness, energy level, sex drive, and so forth.
#
I finally made it through Tananarive’s notes on SHADOW VALLEY, and now it’s up to me. I have to go through it and through it until every word sings as clearly as I can make it. Wow. I barely know who I’ll be when this one is done, I’ve been working on it for so long.

You know, every marriage has its costs and benefits. I think that my own experience of Tananarive says that she inspires me to be a better man. Especially in the arena of writing, she has such a sense of grace in her own work, that it inspires me to push harder.

The question for the day is: what is the single most positive influence your husband, wife, or significant other has had in your life?

1 comment:

Mike R said...

>what is the single most positive influence your husband, wife, or significant other has had in your life?<

That's a tough one. I could rattle off a dozen positive influences no problem, but the single most one? Hmmm . . .

I'd have to say motivation in my career goals.