The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Monday, September 26, 2005

A History of violence (2005)

This latest film by horror master David Cronenberg is arguably his best film.  Certainly his most carefully measured film since "The Dead Zone," this tale of a small-town coffee shop owner (Viggo Mortensen) and his wife (Maria Bello) and investigates the way their lives are changed forever by an act of violence.  I'll say no more--the less you know, the better this movie is.  I'll say that the performances are top-notch (William Hurt is especially enjoyable, but Ed Harris is pure seething danger), the violence is savage, the sex is just great.  Yum.  And it all works as it should.  I could go way into my thoughts on this one, but I'd spoil it for people who haven't had the pleasure.  See it.  We'll talk later.

Steve

No comments: