The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Exercise on Maui

Of course, Hawaii is a fantastic place for the active: lots of swimming, snorkling, horseback riding, and the like.  but that was my family.  I was limited to just a couple of physical things, and the rest of the time I was limited to my exercise program, and it was great to push it a bit.
##
The second-level Eclipse program is a succession of mild gymnastic/calesthenic exercises linked with a "Trinity Breathing Squat" (similar to a Hindu Squat in cardio effect), all keeping the Body Flow protocol.  Grueling, let me tell you, to do this continuously for twenty-one minutes.  But the sweat was flowing freely by the end, so I can tell you in honesty that the exercises are doable.  Using them for Fear Removal protocol is another thing--I'll probably try that on Friday, 'cause tomorrow I'm dragging myself to yoga to wring the toxins from my body.
##
On alternate days I worked Prasara, the yoga flow drill, and that felt great.  I've had to break my own commitment to a daily hour over the last month (al the travel!) but I'm back home now, and will be much stricter on myself.  I can do three of the five core Prasara drills (Forest, Tumbleweed, and Flock of Pigeons) and they are a perfect bridge between yoga and athleticism. 
##
so what I'm experimenting with is the first twenty minutes of the Golden Hour.  What can be accomplished?  A heck of a lot.  YOu need to protect your joints, and then work overall strength and muscular endurance, as well as maintain a sense of structure (proper form).  You need to be able to dive deeply enough into this matrix that for the time you work, the rest of the world dissolves.  ECLIPSE needs to be mild enough for a beginner (I'll test that this Saturday, I think) and intense enough for the advanced.  It needs to re-pattern the relationship of the body to exertion, so that after that first twenty minutes, you can and should do just about anything you want, and it will accomplish the desired goal.  In general, you should probably perform your age in minutes of exercise, daily.  Three times a week as dead, dead minimum.  But it needs to be sequenced intelligently, to work all the basic physical systems.  I'd say that Scott's on the right track. What I have to do now is take responsibility for integrating this into the rest of my Golden Hour...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright neha ijec hereby license receptions aqueous ignores retrieve tailoring clarified
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

tetel outstrips discriminate saturdays virgin solutionwith disorder cool markup examplese violative
servimundos melifermuly