The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Friday, July 06, 2012

Three weeks with Jason



I've been on vacation for the last three weeks, traveling across California and up into Oregon with my son Jason, while Tananarive taught at Antioch University in Los Angeles, and Vona in San Francisco. And while, yep, I can work on the road...I decided to spend more of my time just grooving with Jason. And that meant no fake "fourth of July" sales, no attempts to do anything but just enjoy my boy, and give us a chance to get to know each other a little better.

I have one memory of a road trip with my father when I was perhaps five years old. Very vague, not much to lean on when it comes to nurturing family memories. Jason will have better. He is laying the foundation for the remainder of his life. Right now.

I played with him while driving about three thousand miles, listened to radio and various courses on writing and meditation, and had a chance to think deeply about my life, and what has happened to it in the last year and a half...and what is coming up.

I'll be sharing those thoughts with you over the next few weeks, but just wanted to start the communication process: I'm back.

Meanwhile:

Remember that your entire adult health rests on a foundation of childhood memories and emotions. A lifetime of creativity and growth can be fueled just by re-examining what happened to you at that point. The compromises you've made along the way. Sacrifices for family. Feelings about parents and society, from a child perspective.

Ask: what do you believe that you were taught as a child? Would you have accepted those beliefs if they'd been offered as an adult? What of your programming would you voluntarily give your children? Which would you resist passing on?

Oh, we'll be breaking these thoughts down for you Diamond Hour people, for those interested in writing, or improved efficiency, and other sub-lists.

But first...why not take a little time to hug your kids, or the kid inside you? I can't think of anything better and healthier to do.

love to all of you...
Steve

2 comments:

Terry H said...

Glad to have you back! Your blog means a lot to me. And glad you enjoyed your trip with Jason.

Anonymous said...

Well said Terry. Welcome back Steve!