The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Friday, January 12, 2007

End of the Week thoughts...

I've known compulsive gamblers: just one more pull, one more card. One more lottery ticket. I can get even, I can earn it back...
I've known cocaine addicts: one more line and I'll "be there." I can quit whenever I want. It's my decision. I'm not hurting my family.
I've known abused women: he needs me. I made a commitment. He loves me. He's sorry. He promised not to do it again...
Bush's speech the other night, asking to send yet more Americans into the jaws of death based on his opinion that it would be catastrophic if we pulled out.
Here's the sad thing: he might be right. But I no longer believe a damn thing he says. That is so freaking dangerous, I can't begin to tell you. Now, I'd only believe someone who WASN'T on-board from the beginning. Someone who opposed the original invasion, but now believes that we must stay--and there are such people. Needless to say, they seem to be outweighed by those who think this entire misadventure is the worst foreign policy blunder in American history. And now he wants us to double down...

So I'm asking: is there anyone out there who DISAGREED with the decision to go to Iraq, who now believes we must send 20,000 more troops..?
##
So far, the opinions on the "way out" of a dire economic or social circumstance revolve around:
1) Taking personal responsibility
2) Accepting the need to work long and hard to raise yourself up
3) Surrounding yourself with people who can help you reach your goal.
##
The above are, in my mind, absolute truths. A question might be asked: how do you attract people who are (in Dan Moran's words) "smarter than you"? Well, smart people have needs, too. You can offer them your energy, enthusiasm, honesty, friendship, emotional support.
Another implicit need: a clear goal. After all, you can't know what kind of people can help you to your goal if you don't know your goal!
Remember the "Piering Principle": to succeed you need clear written goals, and the ability to take action despite the voices in your head.

One of the reasons I harp on weight issues is that if you look at the three major arenas of life (body, career, relationships), body is the one where you have the most control. You can literally be alone in your house, never talk to another human being, and get into great shape. The other two pretty much DEMAND interaction with others, and that is when chaos creeps in. So working with the body is a great microcosm of the skills necessary to succeed anywhere else. It's simple--just physics and a bit of physiology. It ain't EASY, though--because of all the brain chatter, avoidance mechanisms, and social programming. It also doesn't have to take much time. The "Enter the Kettlebell" program over at Dragondoor has a terrific workout that takes only 34 minutes a WEEK. No joke, folks. So...what's your excuse?
##
"24" is about to start again. Oboy, oboy, oboy...just can't wait, and wrote another NPR piece on the subject--hopefully it will be broadcast next week. Meanwhile, in and around watching the Jack Bauer Power Hour, I'm gonna be moving. And writing 1000 words a day, minimum, on the "Assassin's Creed" project. And pitching "The Pack" at Jamie Foxx's company. Oh, and doing author photos for "Casanegra" and revving my martial arts practise back up for the New Year. I HAVE to meditate every day, or I'll tear myself apart...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the Piering Principle?